Monday, December 24, 2012

Boza

For those of you who don't know, boza is a popular Bulgarian breakfast drink.  It is made of fermented flower mixed with water and sugar.  It has a very low alcohol content.  It is known to often be disliked by foreigners.  In all my time in Bulgaria I have never tried it.  That is, until last night.

I decided a few months ago that it was probably time for me to take the plunge and give boza a try.  Then I thought it would be a good idea to wait until our teammate Kenny arrives in the country so that we could try it for the first time together as a team bonding experience.  (At least that's what I told myself.  Subconsciously I think I was trying to postpone the inevitable.)  Last night was the night.  We poured ourselves a glass and made a little toast.


It smelled like cat food.  It tasted sweet, like cat food mixed with honey.  Now, in boza's defense, Sasha said that this particular boza seemed to be pretty bad.  Never the less, these were our reactions.

Kenny

Me
Much to Kenny's honor, he finished his glass.  Sasha and I did not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment