Thursday, March 20, 2014

Our Littlest Bulgarian

Yesterday, I was in the bathroom with Alexis, my youngest daughter.  I told her to get her hands wet, and then put some soap on them when she washes them.  In a matter of fact voice she informed me, "In Bulgaria, we put the soap on our hands first and then we get them wet."

I found this funny.  After all, she has lived here just as long as I have.  What does she know that I don't.

But then, she is also far more Bulgarian than I am.  She has spent 60% of her life here.  I've spent less than 9% of my life in Bulgaria.  She actually is a Bulgarian.  I'm just a resident of Bulgaria.

I told the story to Sasha, and she informed me that her whole life she has been a soap first water second gal, and she taught Alexis to do it the same way.  I guess it just goes to show that I have a lot to learn about Bulgarian culture.

1 comment:

  1. In the interest of avoiding an international incident, I would encourage all to unite by agreeing that both soap and water are crucial, no matter which order they are applied. LOL!

    ReplyDelete